Monastery of St. Euphemia in Kampor
The decree for the building of the monastery is an exceptionally valuable document, as it contains the first reference to the Croatian name of the town and island of Rab.
The monastery is situated on the north side of St. Euphemias' Bay and was founded in 1444. The church attached to the monastery is decorated with beautiful altars and picture of saints of great artistic value. Of special significance is the polyptych by brothers Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini from the island of Murano in the Venice lagoon. Also of interest is the wooden ceiling of the monastery, a tabulatum decorated with sacred motifs. Part of the monastery has been turned into the Rab Town Ethnographic Museum with a gallery of pictures by Friar Janez Ambroz Testen. There are around 7000 rare books kept in the monastery library - illustrated Mass books and collections of choral songs as well as a collection of 34 incunabula (pre-15th century books), the Rab Law Book from 1598 and many other examples. The Rapska kronika (the Chronicles of Rab) is also kept here, copied, summarized and guarded by Friar Odoriko Badurina. This is a chronicle of the Monastery of St. Euphemias, with detailed historical accounts of the island and accompanying documents.